On Sunday, Rachel took a 4 hour nap. When she woke up she had a low grade fever (99ish). I went ahead and gave her some Motrin. I also took a look at her mouth and a tooth was coming in. No biggie.
Come Monday morning she wakes up with a fever. She fell back asleep on me after taking more medicine and has the chills. Freaked me out a bit, but Justin said it was normal. We keep her home from school. Call it mother's intuition, but I rescheduled her 2.5 yo check up doc appointment which was supposed to be later in the week for the same day, just to be safe. Everything checked out fine, but to be safe they swabbed her nose to check for the flu. And to my surprise, she had it. We were seeing another pediatrician as our regular one was off that day but he was helpful explaining how she got the flu even though she had a flu shot.
I, on the other hand was screwed. Justin had nagged me for weeks about getting my flu shot telling me how bad it is this year. And me with the mentality "I've never gotten the flu shot in the past and never gotten the flu." Yikes. Do you know how often I kiss my kids? How often I finish their drinks? How often Rachel takes a bite of something and then puts it in my mouth? LOL
I guess it is a big deal because all the pharmacies are out of Tamiflu and flu shots. I was crazy mom calling places after the doc visit because Rachel just looked pathetically exhausted and wanted to sleep. Thank god the Walgreen's nearby helped me out.
The lady at the pharmacy counter: "We are out of Tamiflu and the flu shot."
Me: "Really, does anyone have either? The other Walgreen's is out. CVS is out. I'm running out of options here"
Lady: "No."
....pharmacist peaks at us and probably gave me the sympathy help (yay Rachel for giving him your watery sad eyes).
Pharmacist: "We've got the nasal spray and I'll fill it for you." (heck, I'll take the spray. He takes the last Tamiflu they just filled out of a bin for another customer)
Me: "Umm, you don't have to take someone elses prescription."
Pharmacist: "Naah, this lady isn't picking it up till tomorrow for a refill. I'll order more."
Me: "Thank you. I love you!"(Yes, I said I love you to a stranger. Momma does anything for her baby to get better)
At this point Rachel keeps saying "I want to go night night". I reassure her that we are going home now. 5 minute car ride and I peak at her starting to close her eyes. I keep her awake because I need to get a dose of medicine in her before she passes out. I tried to give it to her when we got in the car, but she refused.
Come Tuesday she was off/on of acting sick. She was back to normal beating up her little brother on Tuesday evening. I was sure she would be ok for school Wednesday. But then come Wednesday her fever comes back and she is super clingy. I keep her home one more day. And today, Thursday, she is back to school. What a relief! We have been resorting to several "tea parties" for her to take her medicine. I think she may be catching on.LOL
We are positive she got it from school as Monday when Justin picked up Ryan from school there was this message:
Now I just pray that the rest of us don't catch it!
You know when they are babies and can't tell you what's wrong or where it hurts? Well, we got a talker here:


No comments:
Post a Comment