Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Running, a love/hate relationship


Sunday afternoon. The kids are down for a nap. I have a good 3 hours to hit the pavement and run 10 miles. I pull up to the parking lot of the trail along the river (5 miles from end to end so it was perfect for a 10 mile run). It's 37 degrees outside (my favorite running weather is 60 and I didn't want to run 10 on a treadmill). No cars in the lot. Great. Me and this trail all by my lonesome self. Still sitting in the car 10 minutes later, (don't lie, we all do this...pull up to the gym and sit in our cars forcing ourselves to get out of the car) I get out and walk a good 5 minutes before I suck it up and start running. Brrrrr....you know the wind chill feeling you get going down a mountain when you're skiing? So cold that you bought one of those face mask things to prevent windburn? Well, that's what it felt like. And what's even worse is that when I turned around to run the other direction the wind was pushing me back. Not sure if resistance running exists, but that is what it felt like. FAILED. Come 6.5 miles I was calling it quits. By the time I got in my car my hands were so frozen (reminded me to buy new running gloves) that I had to warm them up to even start the car.

So my planned marathon training backfired...yet again. I'm not surprised...a little disappointed in myself, but it's my fault. I've lost my motivation! I always do the Houston Half marathon as a kick off to staying in shape all year. Well, it's always a good start at least!

This will be my 8th half marathon. And by the looks of it, my 10 minute mile pace went down the drain after having kids. I haven't invested much time in "me" and every spare minute I have I want to spend with my kids. And it could also be that the kids are still young that I feel guilty for leaving them. It won't be long though. I know I will get back to it once I get my mojo back. We've talked about getting a treadmill, but it would probably just end up as a clothing rack. LOL A snap shot of my race history. I love this site because it makes it easy to look up all your previous times (my internal competitive nature against myself!). - - http://www.athlinks.com/athletes/53032647/Profile 

I Facebook messaged the big running store in town about running groups in Shreveport/Bossier and the only one they have is wrapping up their training for the Louisiana marathon in 2 weeks. If I had only looked into this sooner I could maybe, just maybe train for long runs with them (if Justin isn't working or we aren't in Houston...ha!). Oh well, next time. Next Event is in April for a 10 miler in Washington D.C. for the Cherry Blossom Run. J.R. signed me up for the lottery and I got it!

2 comments:

Aliza said...

I definitely feel you on this sista! I haven't gotten my running pace pre kids back and ive pretty much accepted it. Good going on getting more than 3 miles!!

Ps. That site is cool!

steddy said...

Yup, site is very cool! Hey, as long as we are trying is good in my book!