I blog to share with friends and family our daily happenings and frankly to remember things because I have short term memory. In doing this I have become hooked on reading mommy blogs. A new blog that has some really interesting insight is the Matt Walsh blog (Facebook.com/mattwalshblog). His topic today is so true.
Are you ready to become parents? Nothing can prepare you for it. You may have 'more in the savings account at 35 than 22, but you're a rookie in the big leagues as soon as you have a kid'. Justin and I always wanted kids. After the wedding and sending out that last Thank you card we decided, ok we are 'ready'. Are you kidding me? We still lived at my mom's house. Justin's career path was uncertain. Single income. Barely any savings. No house. Debt up the wazoo. What on earth were we thinking to bring a child into this world under those circumstances? You adapt. You make it work. Fast forward 2.5 years and we are making it work. We have a home. Justin has a career path. Still barely any savings and debt up the wazoo but fast forward 10 years from now I think we'll get it under control. Save for college? Save for a rainy day? We'll tackle that when we need to. Right now we give our kids unconditional love. And that is what makes us 'ready'.
When I say 2013 was a year of adjustment, it has a lot to do with finances. Two kids in daycare, mortgage, electricity, cable, homeowners association, etc. All new expenses that became possible with two incomes. Seriously, we got lucky when God answered our prayers. The timing was perfect. Ryan was born in December 2012 and Justin started residency in January 2013.
I used to think 'as long as my husband and I make 6 figures' we are set. What a naive person I am. We make 6 figures and are not 'set'?! Oh yeah, student loans. Do letters after your name really mean anything these days anyways? Starting to second guess this but what's done is done. For me it got me the interview and to do marketing corporate side it's usually required. As for reaping the rewards it's on hold as I am in 'stability' mode. 'Growth' mode later!
So being ready for parenthood. You'll never be ready. Financially, emotionally, physically, etc. Sometimes life just has a way of working it out. It did for us. We were NOT ready if you look at the big picture, but we are doing just fine. These 2 munchkins are worth it. Becoming a parent isn't about being 'ready', it's about 'sacrifice'. You sacrifice everything for them and give them everything you got.

2 comments:
Well said! We didn't even have the "are you ready?" Conversation. It was more like um this is happening...in 9 months. Lol. Best thing ever :)
Haha! See, you weren't ready and everything worked out just fine!!!
Post a Comment