Thursday, April 10, 2014

DC - Run the City (Cherry Blossom 10 Miler)

Thanks to the polar vortex, cherry blossoms are late to bloom this year. It was a bummer...and funny to see tourists attempt to take pics with trees that weren't even a cherry blossom or trees with little buds of the cherry blossom.

Anyhow, the run was average. And I say this because I was hoping to see more of the city, but it felt like we kept turning around at different points...literally around each circle!haha Throughout the whole race the roads were pretty packed so I never felt "alone".

I treated the run as a "long run" and didn't go all crazy on it. J.R. on the other hand left me at .2 miles and took off with his 9 min or faster miles. And he never really ran before this and kicked my butt! At least I was still walking afterwards:) In the end I averaged around a 10:30 pace so I can't complain. I hope that this gets faster as I start running more often. I attended my 2nd 5 at 5 today. That's 5 miles at 5AM. This group runs everyday (different people show up to different times either in the mornings or afternoons) but Wednesdays at 5AM have been working for me so far. Because our schedules are a little whacky I'm still figuring out which ones to go to.