Monday, February 24, 2014

Another reason to be more practical as a mom




At one time a friend of mine made a comment about a simple black purse that I had. And looking at it I realized that I had this simple leather black bag since high school? So I decided to splurge more than my typical under $30 rule and purchased this $200 or so Marc Jacobs purse. Why? I dunno. I have a job. I can spoil myself once in awhile. But, why again? My purses these days convert to diaper bags because I don't like carrying 2 bags. Frankly, these days I might just leave the house with a canvas bag that I throw my wallet, diapers, snacks and sippy cups into. Great branding for my job and Whole Foods because I have tons of bags! 

So the other day I'm cleaning out my purse of receipts, candy wrappers.....AND goldfish. Yup, these probably fell out of the bag or they are the pieces I picked up off the floor. So much for pricey designer bags. 

Before I became a mom I thought I'd never become "that mom" with the huge bag. I'd always look put together. I'd sport my expensive running stroller on the trails. I'd make baby food. My kid would have the cutest outfit on. 2 kids later, I may still try to pull this "momma is cute" look. But realistically none of it matters. I got it down to a T in getting out of the house in a rush with the bare essentials to survive- diapers, wipes, survival food. Shopping cart cover? Table cover? Those have gone unused too. Don't get me wrong, the baby product business has robbed me of several dollars buying the new gadgets, testing it out on my baby, etc. However at the end of the day I can't find it or wonder why did I waste my money on this? Because that's what first moms do. We don't know. We want the best for our babies and to make our lives simpler. But at the end of the day it always comes down to the basics. The same crap that we grew up with 30 years ago. Organic didn't exist. Fancy baby carriers didn't exist. All these rules of rear facing, front facing, rice cereal in bottle vs not, peanuts/eggs before 1...I could go on and on. I recently read an article about a baby dying from sleeping in their car seat. That if the baby was carried into the house while in the carrier to continue sleeping for too long they risk dying. Really?! Am I supposed to wake a baby up because of this now? Whatever! There is always some crazy story, some true, some whacky. Point is, we get a crapload of stuff at baby showers. Practical or not, you use it. You try it. It's your first rodeo. You find out what products you can't live without. What works for me and the kiddos is completely different than what works for yours. 

Moral of the story: 
Marc Jacobs. You've been momma-fied. 
Sexy SUV: You've been momma-fied.
iPad, DVR, car music: You too. You're all victims of the kids that turned your world upside down to a momma!

No comments: