I took Monday off to regroup from the week in Houston and then realized that it was my 5 year work anniversary. Hard to believe as the job was supposed to be "temporary" at the time.
It was September 2009. I was enjoying happy hour at El Tiempo on Washington St. with my friend Michelle. Because that is what single people (well, she was married and I was engaged) without kids do! I get a phone call from a number I wasn't sure of, but I answer it anyways with "Hi, this is Sarah" and it was the VP of Marketing at the time calling me in for an interview. I wasn't sure of the company. Never heard of it. But at the time I was applying to so many jobs and after a few months of searching I was ready to take ANYTHING. He asks me a few questions to "make sure I was a normal person" outside of my resume and ends the call asking me to come in for an interview.
The interview was something different than I had experienced before. I was given a "case study" and to write up my action plan. Now that I look back at it, I think it is a great way to see how someone thinks. Luckily, I've had my fair share of case studies in business school so it was a no brainer. I reviewed my recommendations for the case with the VP and a manager at the time. A few days later, I get called in for a 2nd interview with the CEO.
As I was sitting in the lobby for my 2nd interview which was around 1PM, a group of people walk in from lunch. I notice that one of the guys was part of the Sports Monkey kickball league that I played in. We had beat his team the night before in a game. No biggie, but we had made eye contact like "hey, i know you"...not really...just that I "pegged him with the ball" last night. Interview goes well with CEO with basic "will you fit this culture" questions. The interview is casual and I make the remark of "I noticed that I played kickball with one of the employees here last night". At the end of the interview, he says "let's go find him" and awkwardly I find the coworker in our wholesale/supply group and we get introduced. Good sign, eh?
Later that day I get an offer. What was supposed to be a "I'll take this job for now" has turned into 5 years. From 50 employees to 200. From a no name to something. Glad to have a job that has grown with me from marriage to 2 kids to moving. We'll see where the next 5 years take me.
No comments:
Post a Comment