Monday, August 10, 2015

First Day of School

Today was Rachel's first day of school in her new pre-k4 class at our church. Yup, we've got a kid attending Catholic school. After exploring our options we felt that this was the best thing for her. Though the daycare goes up to 5 years old preparing the kids for kindergarten, we were ready for more structure and curriculum. They do have a pre-k3 class too but Ryan is still too young.

Yes, we will be doing 2 school pick ups and drop offs. Yes, we are paying $8 a day for after hours at the church. Yes, we will have to make arrangements for summers, spring break, teacher work days, etc. Yes, it costs a little more than daycare. After all that we should keep her at daycare, right?

Well, here's the thing about the Louisiana school system. It sucks. No, really, it does. It's one of the lowest ranked states in regards to public education. Now, that certainly doesn't apply to all schools, but in general the state has a reputation. I'm not used to "applying" for school. For God's sake, it's kindergarten. What on earth does my kid have to apply for? I'm used to "live in a good district" and "sign up". Not, school tours, applications, interviews, tutors (yes, people do that here), waiting lists, etc. You would think we're applying to college, not kindergarten!

When we moved here I didn't even think about school districts because I assumed that we'd be gone by the time my kids hit school age. Luckily where we live has Rachel going to one of the better elementary schools. However, the way to go is Magnet. There are 3 magnet schools. They are public schools but you still have to test for it, and then rank your school and hope you get in somewhere. The whole concept is insane. I know Rachel and it takes more than one meeting for her to get comfortable with you and talk to you, much less answer a bunch of testing questions. That alone has me convinced that she wouldn't do well on these tests. It doesn't mean that she isn't qualified, just that one "interview" wouldn't paint a clear picture of how smart and creative she is. However, we're still going to go through with it and see what happens. And no, I would not hire a tutor. That's just stupid in my opinion. And, it's all free!

So, one day at a time. Right now she is our little four year old growing and learning day by day. And, let's not forget Ryan! He started his pre-k3 class at daycare. Same school, different teacher. He now has the teacher Rachel had when we first moved here. It's crazy to see the process in full circle.

Justin was quite emotional. It was pretty cute. I wasn't. Maybe because I feel like Rachel has already been in school this whole time that it's no different? This new parent deal with school age kids is a whole other level though. Take home folders daily, things to remember and do, set time aside for learning(little homework), etc. They have these text reminders to the parents. My, how times have changed since we were in school!

Drop off is awesome where they just come to your car and get your kid! There is a Kindergarten village with separate "houses" for each class. Two 4 year old classes with 20 kids each. 


Ryan's new class. I will miss being able to peek in on Rachel!
After a long day at school, resting on the couch in their rainboots and princess costume.

2 comments:

Aliza said...

Rachel looks too cute in her uniform! Theyre expensive but so worth the mornings of not having to plan! Let me know how the testing is. I have the same thoughts for ania!

steddy said...

Yes, the uniforms are pricey! I'll let you know about testing once it comes. Her teacher has already said how quiet Rachel is...haha