I signed up for the half ironman on my 34th birthday. It's something I have always wanted to check off the list and figured now would be the best time to do it since I'm in the best shape I've been in for years. I was running. I was swimming. And I just threw some aerobars on my bike to get serious on my weakness, the biking. Easy to say the bike is no problem, but riding for 3 hours is 2 hours longer than I have ever ridden so it was time to get serious.
Well, exactly one month later on 2/11 I fell off my bike. I was riding alone and came up to a stoplight on a busy intersection and braked. I totally forgot I was clipped in. For non-bikers, my feet are clipped into the pedals. This helps with more efficient pedaling. So I fell...feet still in pedals. Come to find out the right way to fall if you are going to fall is get in the fetal position and roll on your back.
I iced it when I got home and figured it was a sprain. The next morning as we were running I was explaining that it hurt and something was wrong. They convinced me to see a doc just in case. I still haven't found a primary care doctor so I tried an Urgent Care Center for the first time. My experience was pretty good. From the xrays it turned out to be a radial head fracture and they recommended I wear the sling for a week and see an orthopedic surgeon to be sure. The doc scared me with the possibility of a cast. So, I waited a week until I could see the doc.
Those first few days were miserable. The little things you do everyday are taken for granted when you don't have use of your full arm. I couldn't open the door. I couldn't put a bra on. I couldn't shower much less give the kids a bath properly. I couldn't put my hair in a ponytail. All these little things were so painful that I cried. I cried because I couldn't carry my kids. I cried because I couldn't do things around the house. I now see how injured people get depressed...having to depend on someone else to do simple things for you is depressing!
Well, just earlier this week I was starting to see progress and the doc confirmed it. Just give it time. This is an injury to get for healing on it's own. I'm still doing most things one armed, but trying to use my left arm when I can. They say don't pick anything up heavier than a coke can so the kids are still being picked up with one arm!
As for the half ironman I don't know yet. It's in 8 weeks. I can't bike or swim right now so we'll see. I should have paid the $40 insurance to get my money back if something health related/pregnancy happened. Oh well. Right now I will pick up running again and when the arm is ready I'll see how much bike time I can get in.
The kids have been really sympathetic for the most part. They say "which arm mommy" and kiss the bad arm. Rachel's sense of security is grabbing your arm/elbow so I have to remind her. And today we were running errands and Ryan fell in a huge puddle of water where I overextended my arm to catch him resulting in pain. I forget myself sometimes too. I'll get there. I know I will!




No comments:
Post a Comment