Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Transition to Toddler Room

Today was the start of Rachel's transition to the toddler room at school. She'll spend a few hours in the toddler room for 2 weeks prior to being in the toddler room full time right before Thanksgiving. We met with the primary teacher this morning to discuss what to expect, the transition, etc. Rachel will pretty much have the same schedule in regards to naptime, meals/snacktime, outdoor time, etc. The main differences are sleeping on a cot vs. a crib, a different room/playground, and of course a different group of kids and teachers. Rachel will be the youngest. The toddler room consists of kids from 16-17 months up to 2.5-3 years old.

Well, transitioning can be a stressful time for a child. New faces, new environment, etc. Apparently Rachel did really well today. However, when I picked her up this evening I was the one that wasn't too happy. 1 - her clothes were soaked. 2 - She had mud on her face/neck. 3 - Her eyes looked like she had been crying a lot. I talked to the teacher about all of the above, but I guess it wasn't a big deal to them. I'll get over it, but hope this isn't an everyday thing.

Also, while the ratio of adults to child in the infant room is 1 adult to 4 kids, it is 1 adult to 9 kids in the toddler room. And I will no longer be getting a written summary everyday of Rachel's day meaning I'll probably need to ask - - Did she eat? How often did she have a bowel movement? How long did she nap? Yes - - I get it. She is growing up.....but she is still my baby. Justin tells me to get over it. I can baby Ryan in a month! :)

3 comments:

carla said...

Toddler room already?!? :( they moved Isaiah's girlfriend into the toddler room at just over a year. Usually they move over between 14-16 months at this center but I have a feeling they will try to move Isaiah earlier since he has been eating school lunches since he was 9 months. They have already transitioned him to one nap a day but he still takes at least 2 at home. The last 2 criteria are walking and no bottles. I hope the transition goes smoothly for Rachel!

Aliza said...

Happy transitioning to Rachel!! Man talk about growing up so fast!!

steddy said...

Yup . . she is growing up so fast! She seems fine though..eating and sleeping fine at home. I think she is more exhausted at the end of the day though. She passes out earlier...but then again, that can be the time change! At least she is transitioning before the baby comes!